Board index From the Boss News and Alerts The future of the server

The future of the server

That new new.

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Hey All,
I'm writing this post as I'm not sure where to go next. Recently, we tried to update the server to the 1.7.10 version of the Direwolf20 FTB pack. This was met with great resistance from our server. If you have joined since the update, you have undoubtedly experienced the Timed Out issue. That is unless you're TemptingDestiny.
I have searched far and wide for the cause of this issue.
I have tried every fix that I've found.
Nothing has worked.

So, now we are at a crossroads.
Obviously, I can't afford to pay for a server that can't be used, however I would like to keep the server going.
So, I'm asking you for advice, tips, or anything to help us figure out what to do next.

Are you aware of some amazing fix to get this pack running? Do you know of another great mod pack that we should try out? Please let me know. I would love to pursue something that lets everyone play, but is a lot less time consuming than the current setup.
Thanks in advance.

Need Awesome Hosting?
MineOCity Hosting

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 am

Though I don't disconnect as much as the rest, I do get chunk load lags up to and while everyone else dc's, so it's not all clear sailing for me either lol.

As for this mod pack, I don't know what to think. It's obvious from our past mod packs that the server is capable of hosting such packs, so this pack must be very badly optimized or having some real issues on 1.7. I mean, it's apparent with just 2+ people on that's there's real lag issues when there really really shouldn't be. Especially taking into consideration we just started. I think it is a tps issue, but nothing to do with the server performance and more to do with how modding 1.7 works; I've read that 1.5/1.6 is much better for modding and that 1.7 is awfully optimized for huge mod packs, but i'd never of gathered it was this bad!

You commented to me about maybe running it without any extra plugins? What are these plugins exactly, all I can think of is WorldEdit and Grief Prevention and maybe Essentials from what i've seen. Possibly we could have a short run without these and just running the core mod pack to see how it runs and if performance increases, just to rule out any issues or conflictions. From there we'll go forward based on the results, with looking at other avenues if it really (and sadly, because i'm loving the updated 1.7 mods and included EnderIO and BigReactors) comes to it.

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Plugins that would be missed: GriefPrevention, CoreProtect, WorldEdit/Guard, Essentials, PEX, and dynmap.
We would have to do without protections or nice editing.
It would also make administration close to impossible. We would probably have to go whitelist.

Need Awesome Hosting?
MineOCity Hosting

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:43 pm

we cud try one of the atlauncher packs, such as Crackpack, Hermitcraft modsauce or bevos pack. they usually have a good amount of people workin on them to get rid of bugs. just a thought

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm not familiar with these.
Are there any ATLauncher packs that stand out as a good replacement? I also wouldn't mind going back to 1.6.4 if it'll be better for the mods.

EDIT: HermitCraft looks cool and is 1.7.10.

Need Awesome Hosting?
MineOCity Hosting

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 pm

all 3 are of these are made for servers, youtubers use them. direwolfs modpack is really made jus for him to play singleplayer
they all are kinda the same. never played any of them tho

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm

You had me at, "made for servers."
I'll set up a local server and see how far I get with it. If it looks promising I'll switch us over to it.

Need Awesome Hosting?
MineOCity Hosting

Return to News and Alerts